Thursday, February 14, 2008

Moving Past Grief and Loss

After the loss of a spouse or a child, you’re going to be stuck in neutral for awhile -- trust me, there's no quick solutions on the healing journey. There are different transitions along the way, and some people get through them quicker than others, but ultimately it's all up to us. We learn along the way and we can discover more about ourselves, but moving on, I have found, is based on each individual's attitude, background, stress levels and available support.

And even saying "moving on" doesn't correctly describe the life transition. You eventually learn to live again. You know joy again, as hard as that might be for someone to believe when the loss is so fresh. Be assured you never forget, but you hurt a little less. The love is never wiped away, but you can hold it close without sharp pain. There is no conforming to anyone else's idea of what your grief should be, it is yours alone. To keep ourselves healthy, we must remain open to life's wonders. If we shut ourselves off from living I truly believe a part of us dies inside. To me, that would be the ultimate second tragedy.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Hi Elaine
Thank you for comment on my blog...it was my first comment ever from someone I didn't know and that was very cool. How did you come across my blog?
I want to say that I am sorry for your loss but I also want to thank you for your courage in sharing your journey with us. I look forward to reading your book when it comes out.
Blessings,
Dana

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Thanks Dana. Your blog is great. Elaine