Monday, February 18, 2008

Loss Can Pave the Way to a New Life

I have always considered myself a caring person, but when my husband got ill and then died, I really was forced to go inside myself and figure out who and what I was and who and what I wanted to be, at almost 50 years of age.

There was a lot of soul searching, introspection, meditation...and ultimately a new person emerged on the other side. Perhaps new in small ways, but overall, I felt reborn, as strange as that may sound. It doesn't diminish my loss in any way, in fact it made it all the more important and empowering, because I became more than I ever expected. I grew into the me I was always supposed to be. I continue to grow because I am determined to keep my heart and life open to all possibilities.

Could this have happened if I hadn't experienced the loss of a spouse and ensuring devastation? Possibly, but I don't think the effects would have been as far reaching or so embedded in who I am today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"All who succeed in life get off to a bad start, and pass through many heartbreaking struggles before they 'arrive'. The turning point in the lives of those who succeed usually comes at the moment of some crisis, through which they are introduced to their 'other selves'. " - Napoleon Hill

Sorry for the loss. I followed link from your other site. I guess oftentimes, only after we meet some crisis point in life do we reach a new point or self in life. Certainly it's heartbreaking when something / someone dear is lost. This kind of realization seems to always come at the expense of a loss. I always hear someone say, Cherish what/those you can see / have today as no one can guarantee a thing tomorrow. Indeed, no one. Anything can happen tomorrow. So cherish the present and hope for the future.

Take care,
Amos Chan
__________________________
www.lifecrisisguide.com

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Hi Amos, Thank you for posting. I think in these moments of life crisis, we learn things that we could only have learned going through this experience in this exact way. elaine