Sunday, February 10, 2008

Caretakers

Ask, interview or interact with any family caretaker and check out their stress level. It's only common sense that the caretaker is the one carrying the burden. I recall the time when my husband was ill, 98% of my entire focus was solely on him. I didn't dare relax that vigilance for fear of doing something wrong. Missing a doctor appointment, juggling medicines and narcotic prescriptions. The onus is on the caretaker to follow through with doctor's orders and even daily life, which may end up meaning daily survival for the ill person.

This should be (and perhaps is) common knowledge among nurses, hospice works, medical professionals such as doctors and their staff. My husband's holistic doctor inquired as to my health a few months before my husband passed away because I had laryngitis for almost two months.

In all honesty, I stated I was fine, even thoguht I wasn't, and pretty much brushed aside his concern. But for an older caretaker, I would be very worried for their health. Many times while you're in the thick of caregiving, you just keep going. You give no thought usually to how you're eating, what sleep you're losing. You just know there is another pill that has to be administered, one more feeding to take see too, another test result to look over. It's your full time job that you volunteered for. There was no sign up sheet. It's just the way it happened.

2 comments:

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

wow.I sure get this one Elaine.

My two sisters and I were primary caregivers to our Grandparents for the past few years.
My Gramps passed away in August and my Nan just recently.
During those times of caregiving..especially for my oldest sister..I was certain she was not taking as good care of herself as she was my grandparents.
It's a tough life to juggle so much caregiving - you can get exhausted and lose sight of self care.
Excellent post..I am so grateful for your sharing ..Thank you!

Tab

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

So true. You're so focused on the sick one you love, you don't always take care of yourself. Thanks for visiting! Elaine