Friday, February 15, 2008

Keeping Memories Safe

I recently visited another blog on grief, by widower Bong. What a nice memorial he has created about Mariel. Here is the link. http://www.marielsgarden.wordpress.com/

Loved ones who have passed on will never be forgotten as long as there is a memory in our thoughts and hearts. Others get on with the daily living, but they have not forgotten. I find that unless someone has experienced this excruciating loss, (and be glad they have not) it is sometimes difficult for anyone to fully grasp the gaping emptiness, the fears inside, not only that others may forget but that we may forget something special about our loved one. I think journaling puts us ahead of the game as we share the person we loved and lost with the world in our writings. For myself, I have found this writing to many times be a painful, but ultimately enriching experience.

I have been told me how brave it is to write the words I write about my grief experience, but what I do know is as you write, you move forward through your grief a little at a time. Sometimes we fall backward, but in the end, we have really learned just how precious is life and learn to treasure those who have come into our lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for giving us hope that there is a way forward to life's most painful challenges . I know that writing about your journey through grief took not just courage but more importantly a great amount of LOVE.

Thank you too for visiting Mariel's little garden and sharing her life of love.

With kindest regards,

Bong

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Thank you! elaine