Saturday, April 12, 2008

Living Fully

Sometimes there are other losses, such as divorce, that can mirror the pain and loss of a loved one through death. That's not to say it's the same, but it is filled with pain, all the same. Many of the same feelings, fears and situations arise out of both situations. Loss is a universal emptiness, and yes, we do learn to move on, if we keep ourselves open to life and living, as hard as it is at times.

Being four years into this process I have pretty much reinvented myself. Many times it was incredibly hard walking this road, but I write about my loss experience for others to see you're not alone, and we can triumph and go on to a wonderful life, even after our loss.

You create new friendships, interests and sometimes it feels like a metamorphis taking place. At times I resisted change, afterall, change can be scary, but ultimately, I made myself step forward and experience what came to me. Good and bad.

I've come to learn that what shows up is there for a reason, so I can't hide my head in the sand and ignore them. I take what I can from the experience and leave the rest. It's called living. And I choose to live fully.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Thanks for your post. I first came across your blog after losing a dear friend and coworker. Two months later I'm going through a break-up with my boyfriend - the pain feels familiar. I appreciate your comments about change and growth, and living fully after loss. Thanks for your encouragement.

Big Dave T said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Not sure how you came across it, but I hope it wasn't too flippant for your situation there. Sorry for your recent loss (seems recent to me and I'm sure to you too).

As someone who recently became involved in supporting a literary contest, I was amazed at how many self-published books and stories there are out there. Good luck with your's.

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Hi Dave: Thanks for stopping here also. I love reading blogs and getting other's perspectives! The one thing with the 'net, publishing is a level playing field for all, not owned only by the big guys. :-) elaine

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Hi Catherine: I'm so sorry for your losses in life. None of them are easy, but they all hurt. However, one thing I have learned is I took something away from each experience, as strange as that may sound. Sometimes it took me a few years to figure out there was something good to come out of it all. elaine

Marisa Wright said...

Elaine

Your comment about divorce and widowhood is so true. I was divorced after 17 years and I felt as though my life had ended. While nothing is more awful than death, divorce has its own awfulness. I have an article about this on HubPages.com

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

HI Marisa: Thank you for stopping by. I checked out your hubpages and found the article on making money online with writing, and your other articles. Really great variety and very interesting! elaine