Thursday, August 21, 2008

Taking Care of Business

Due to economics I've been busy thinking of ways to budget and cut costs before winter hits. I know, it's only August, but since it's all up to me, and with the rising prices of fuel, gas, and income changing, etc., I've come up with a few ways to go more carefully into winter. I've wrapped my hot water heater with insulation, and also the pipes. Today I put another 6 inches of insulation through my entire attic. I did it at night, but it was still about 95 degrees up there. There was a lot of satisfaction in taking care of this.

I've also bought a woodstove, they're more efficient than ever before, less emissions also into the atmosphere. I made a deal with my youngest son, who cuts wood and sells it, and I've been helping him split wood. So we're in good shape. There's still a few things that need to be taken care of around the property, specifically the barn roof needs to be nailed down better so it doesn't get lost this winter with the wind. I'm hoping to get away for a week, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: