Thursday, July 17, 2008

Stages of Grief - It can be a Messy Process

From my own experience as a widow of four years, not only writing about grief the last several years but talking with others -- often times people don't understand the sometimes messy, non-linear and very individual grief process. There is no set way to do it. However, I've found the best way to "do it" is to take it day by day, sometimes moment by moment. No expectations, no hard and fast rules, just do what works to get yourself through it and into a better place emotionally, mentally, spiritually.


The Kubler-Ross Model defines the stages as follows: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. Even Elisabeth Kubler-Ross stated that not everyone always experiences all of these stages nor are they experienced in a clear, linear fashion. Kulber-Ross talked about the above stages in relation to someone who is dying, and also those who have lost a loved one. However, these stages of grief can also be linked to a situation which involves a real or perceived lack of control over one's life.

In the end, it's interesting how we each handle life's "smackdowns".

2 comments:

Mrs. Hatten said...

I agree. We all deal with death in different ways. When I first was informed of my father's illness, I was in denial. Then, fear set in and I could do nothing but pray that he would live. After a long battle, he did pass away and I accepted his loss. After a few months, I then was confused and angered. Now, I am back at acceptance and miss him terribly. There is no "right" way of dealing with death--what is important is that one continues to handle the grief on a daily basis and cherishes the time that was spent with the loved one. Thanks for the post!

A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I have learned to just let the small things go, and do the best I can to live in each moment -- love who and what we have in our lives. elaine