Friday, March 13, 2009

Can Spring be in the Air?


Where I live in the mountains, Spring likes to tickle and tease, then jumps back and away as we get more snow and winds, bringing the temperature from a March 45 degrees to a 14 degree morning. I’ve lived here 30 years, and I’ve learned you can’t be fooled by what “appears” to be Spring. I admit I’m anxious for the warmer weather. Even more time outdoors, no heavy boots, coats or gloves. I do enjoy some parts of the winter, I still hike, snowshoe or x country skiing, snowmobiling, but those windy, - degree weather days, those I don’t miss.

Every day for the last few weeks I’ve been taking the pup out for hikes over our old logging roads out back. Yesterday we went quite deep and up the mountain, and began coming down some ledges, when behind us I heard dogs howling and yipping from where we’d just come. So we hotfooted it out of there. Myself and a 28 lb. border collie/australian shepard 5 month pup might not be a match for 4 or 5 wild dogs. I’ve run into this from time to time, but thus far I’ve been lucky…so, extra precautions next time we’re off into the woods.

So, this weekend looks like it will be in the 50’s, and perhaps Spring is teasing us again, and Monday and Tuesday it may drop back down to the 20’s again, but I guess I’ll take the warmer temperatures this weekend. Family gatherings and then on to swing dancing on Saturday evening. Should be fun.

No comments: